Saturday, November 1, 2008

I went for a ride...nothing deep here!

The title says it all. I received a call on Monday from some friends who were riding their motorcycles through the Bay Area on Tuesday. They invited me to meet in S.F. and ride with them through Nor Cal. Being the rider that I am I worked it out and met them at the Golden Gate Bridge Wed morning.
Now...if a picture paints a thousand words...I could use a couple of pictures to describe what I saw as I pulled up to our meeting spot. To my surprise there was a mass of people milling around and having a grand time. Mind you, I surmised this in just 2 seconds as I looked for my riding buddies. Of course it was not hard to locate them, I simply drove into the center of the milling tourist and "PRESTO" there they were.
It so happens that a bus load of French tourist...from France for all of you world travelers...were sitting on the bikes trying on the helmets and taking pictures with the "three riders" and their bikes. I guess that Harley Davidsons are quite popular over in that foreign country.
Well off we went to eat breakfast in Sausalito at a small hole in the wall joint. It was here that the adventure continued. As we were being seated at our table someone...not sure who...ushered over an elderly lady and set her right down at our table. There we were sitting in our ball caps and leather chaps geared up for a "ride" and they brought her right over and sat her down with us. Of all of the people in that place they put her at the "riders table". Can't remember her name but turns out she was a retired foreign diplomat for the US government. Now I couldn't make this up...it really happened like I'm telling you. She sat there and we chatted her up, peppered her with questions. Listened to her stories of being posted in Kingston, Jamaica and let here listen to our mindless banter as we cut up (cutting up is mandatory when riding around the country with friends).
We left Sausalito with some good breakfast and a few lessons under our belts.
1. Traffic cones will lodge under the frame of a moving motorcycle.
2. If you hit a traffic cone there is a chance it will fly up and could bounce into the lane of the oncoming traffic.
3. That little breakfast joint serves the worlds most expensive pancakes.
I have found that you cannot describe the beauty of the state of California with mere words...we live in an awesome place. But, suffice it to say that we saw some of the grand wonders of Gods creation in the next 5 hours as we traveled to Carson City, NV.
Between our travels and after our travels we spent some quality time at Dudley Perkins Harley Davidson and Carson City Harley Davidson getting some things adjusted and oil leaks investigated respectively.
As I hit the road to go home about noon on Thursday I left riding the wave of a great time with three of my minister friends. As I climbed up the back side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains a thought crossed my mind "I think I'm going to get wet!" I was right...I did get wet. I rode in the rain for three hours on my way home...and not one moment of regret passed through my mind. I had been with some great men who by their very friendship are helping me and I was heading home to see my precious family. No regrets only anticipation!
I made it safe and sound and after a phone call the next morning I discovered that they had made it safe and sound also. So it's all good from where I'm sitting.
Thanks to Pastor Jerry Rowell of Yuma, AZ, Pastor Guy Godwin of Tulsa, OK and Pastor Steve Buxton of Chula Vista, CA for the invitation and the adventure...I needed it!
If I get any pictures..I will post them...I know you're dying to see them!
JS

No comments: